Last update Aug 2019
What is reported here is purely for information, we try to keep the information up to date but the visa rules may change without notice. Therefore, in case of doubt, we always recommend consulting the official website of Laos Immigration: click here
In any case, we remain at your disposal for any further clarifications.
Laos Tourist Visa
Laos Tourist Visa is obtained upon arrival at the airport or can be requested before departure at Laotian embassies and consulates abroad with a release time of 3-5 working days.
► Oversea Embassies and Consulates of Laos: click here
Laos Tourist Visa is valid for 60 days (single entry) and must be used within two months from the date of issue.
Duration & Exstension
Travelers with Tourist Visa are allowed to stay in Laos max 30 days. The stay in Laos for tourist purposes can be extended by a further 60 days (twice 30 days). In this case, the traveler must go to nearest Immigration office in person.
- Original passport with at least 6 months of residual validity and a blank page;
- Two Visa application forms, completed and signed by the applicant (delivered on the plane or available at the consulates of Laos);
- Two passport size photos.
Cost of Laos Visa
- USD 35 for single-entry Visa;
- USD 60 if entry is from Vietnam or Cambodia by land, to be obtained at the Embassy or at the Laotian consulates;
- Since last 1 October 2018, every tourist visiting Laos is required to pay an additional fee of 1 USD (entrance fee) as economic aid to the country for the costs of recovery from recent natural disasters.
Border Check Points via land
These nine border-crossing/check points where foreign travelers can travel by land are as follows:
- Nongkhai / Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge at Nongkhai (close to Vientiane)
- Chiang Khong / Huay Xai
- Xayabouly / Nam Heuang Friendship Bridge
- Friendship Bridge II at Mukdahan / Suvannakhet
- Chongmek / Champassak
- Nam Kanh / Nong Haet in Xieng Khouang Province
- Kao Cheo / Nam Phao
- Lao Bao / Dene Savanh Savannakhet Province
- China - Mohan / Boten (Luang Namtha)
Cambodia-Lao border (No Visa upon arrival is permitted)
- Dong Calor - Veun Kham
It’s not possible to obtain a Tourist Visa entering to Laos from Cambodia by river (VEU KAM). In this case Tourist Visa must be done in Europe or in Phnom Penh (cost: USD 30 Visa + USD 30 USD for fast procedures at the LAO embassy). Total amount must be paid to local Asco staff.
Laos Online Visa (e-Visa)
Recently Laos government has introduced the e-Visa application (actually it has been activated only for tourism purposes).
An e-Visa is valid for 60 days from the date of issue (Approval Letter) and it allows a maximum stay of 60 days.
Who can apply for e-Visa
The applicant can submit the online request through the official government website: https://laoevisa.gov.la/
Lao e-Visa facility is available for all countries (except those Visa Free Countries to the Lao PDR).
How to apply for Laos online Visa
The applicant shall follow these steps for e-Visa application online:
- Go official website at www.laoevisa.gov.la
- Click on “Apply Now”;
- Insert the email address and the security code in the box;
- The system will send the verification code to the registered email;
- Fill the verification code for getting link of application form;
- Fill the personal information, passport details and travel details;
- Review and submit all the information before proceeding to payment;
- Chooses the payment method;
- Process completed
- When the e-Visa application is approved, an Approval Letter will be sent to the registered email address.
Please do not forget to print the Approval Letter (you must show it to Immigration officer when you enter in Cambodia)
At the arrival port
- Upon arrival in Laos, tourist has to proceed as follow:
- Go to the Immigration in the dedicated e-Visa lane;
- Show passport and e-Visa Approval Letter to the Immigration officer;
- Get the final Immigration approval and enter Laos.
Currently e-Visa is available only at the following ports:
- Wattay International Airport Vientiane (VTE)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Mukdahan-Savannakhet)
Every applicant requiring a Visa need to submit scan colored copies of his/her:
- Passport bio page (passport validity at least for more than 180 days from the date of arrival)
- Photograph size 4x6 cm (as per ICAO Standard photograph and it has been taken no longer than 6 months).
- The Visa application photograph must meet certain criteria regarding size and content. Submitting photos that do not meet these criteria can delay the visa application process. If the photo does not meet the requirements, the applicant has to provide a new photo in order obtain the Visa.
- Additional documents may be required.
The processing time of the Laos online Visa is usually 3 working days after submitting the application and paid the Visa fee.
► For further information regarding Laos Tourist Visa please visit the official website of Laos Immigration: click here
Became an ASCO partner